Sunday, July 5, 2015

Study Abroad Day 4: Calella Beach Day and Las Ramblas at Night

I'll start today off with the biggest differences we have noticed between the US and Spain:

1. Restauraunts- You can't just order a free glass of water from any restaurant. If you order water it is bottled and you pay for it. Our professor told us that even at home families don't drink tap water, that flat water is only for the sick or old (in germany).

2. PDA- It is much more acceptable here to be affectionate with your lover. As we walked through the metro yesterday we noticed a couple just going at it. I have never in my life witnessed people vigorously making out like that in public. It happens everywhere we go!

3. Bathrooms- in the US there is a crack between the stall door that I always feel like people can see you through. The doors in the US are also so short I can always see over them when I stand up. Here the stalls are completely closed in, with no cracks and doors that reach the ceiling. Hey USA I wouldn't mind more privacy in the bathroom.

4. Daily Schedule- In Barcelona people have breakfast around 9-11 am, lunch around 2-4, and dinner around 9-11pm. This is something that all of our bodies are still not used to yet and we do lots of snacking to compensate. Can't let the treats from La Boqueria go to waste!

5. Body Image- This is a huge one that I have noticed. People are just more comfortable in their own skin. They wear more revealing clothing and don't expect judgement for it. I can be insecure about my body but at the beach today, we had no worries because people are so accepting of others bodies. I'm probably more comfortable and confident than at home.

So now onto todays adventure! We got to sleep in until 10:30 then got dressed and headed out to Calella for a beach day. It took us 2 hours to get there initially because we got a bit confused and lost. We arrived and ate lunch at a restaurant right on the beach. I once again had Patatas Bravas and i'll tell you all about those in a post after we leave Barcelona in a round up of the foods we had. After lunch we rented chairs on the beach and laid out in the sun trying desperately to become as tan as the locals. Alternating between laying on the beach and taking a swim in the super salty water. We noticed that we were much more buoyant in the water here, the salt content is much higher than California or the East Cost.




when we had 30 minters left on the beach we all decided that we wanted to go topless and experience the beach like the spaniards.




We took a train ride back to the hotel and showered. Callie, Sam and I went to dinner at a restaurant in Las Ramblas.  We did enjoyed our first drinks of the trip so far, red wine sangria! I didn't get many pictures because it was a little too dark.



 We came back towards the hotel and went to an 'American' bar for a fourth of july party. It ended up being quite small and awkward so we just came back and sat by the pool and talked until bed. 



Sorry we didn't post this last night it was 3AM by the time I started to write it and I was just exhausted so I'm posting it this morning.

Off for adventures at La Sagrada Familia and many more y'all will see tomorrow!

<3 Morg and Cal



2 comments:

  1. Holy Moly! Fun day for you all. Daddy says to keep your tops on!!! 😜

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am even more proud of you today!!

    ReplyDelete