Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Study Abroad Day 19: Sick Morg, Cal & Sam Explore Venice

A note from Morg: Sorry this post is so late I've been trying to get Cal to post it but she hasn't had much time until now!

Hey y'all, Morgan wasn't feeling well and decided to stay at the hotel today. We had planned to go to Venice the night before, so Sam and I decided to go without Morg. Later in the day she started feeling better and went to get food at Eataly then waited for us to get back. While we were gone the power in the hotel went out and she had fun navigating in the dark for a while. Anyway, I hope you enjoy a new perspective and the amazing steamy city of Venice!

We took a three hour bus ride then a boat into Venice, where we were dropped off at Piazza San Marco. We took a few pictures with the group then started down some side streets to get some lunch.


Sam and I wanted to get away from the square because the food gets cheaper and there are a lot less tourist. We found an air conditioned Italian restaurant which felt amazing because by this point we were drenched in sweat. After eating we walked along the streets, there are some really cute stores selling leather goods, masks, and other souvenirs.

Our favorite mask store


We spent most of the day exploring the streets and canals. Looking at the way the city was built is fascinating. There are no roads for cars, you have to walk or take a boat everywhere you go.


The craziest thing we did while we were in Venice was feed the Pigeons in Piazza San Marco. It was honestly such a weird thing to do, but I'm so glad I got the courage to do it. Sam went first, feeding them corn and pasta straight out of her hands. 


I wasn't as calm as Sam and freaked out the entire time I was feeding the birds.


 Pigeons are surprising heavy, but we got away without getting pooped on and some pretty amazing pictures, one even landed on my head! Vience was a beautiful city and I'm so glad that we got to visit it for the day.

1 comment: